Agra Petha Recipe
Petha is a soft candy which is popularly made in Agra! It is made from ash gourd (also called Petha, Winter melon, or Boodu Kumbalakai). So, recently, I was craving for some, and I thought why not make some myself and share it with you all master chefs too! So here we are on how to make Agra petha recipe.
- Ash gourd (Petha/ Winter melon/ Boodu Kumbalakai) – 1kg
- Sugar – 2cup
- Limestone/ chuna/ sunna – 1tsp
- Vanilla essence – 4 to 5 drops
- Food color – a pinch
HOW TO MAKE AGRA PETHA
- Take a ripened ash gourd and slice it into cubes or any shape of your choice.
- Make sure that the green peel and the seedy flesh is completely removed.
- Now poke the ash gourd pieces using a fork from all sides and keep aside.
- In a large bowl take 1litre water and dissolve 1tsp of limestone in it.
- Now add the ash gourd cubes in it and soak for about 12 to 24 hours.
- Wash the ash gourd cubes thoroughly 4 to 5 times in water.
- Now in a deep pan or vessel boil 1 liter of water and get it to boil.
- Add in the washed ash gourd cubes and cook it for 15 minutes.
- Now transfer it into the ice-cold water and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Take a large Kadai and add 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water and let the sugar dissolve completely.
- Now add a pinch of food color into the above sugar syrup. I have used saffron food color, you can use the color of your choice.
- Now add in the ash gourd pieces and boil until the color of pieces turns transparent with occasional stirring.
- Finally, add 4 to 5 drops of vanilla essence.
- Once the ash gourd pieces turn transparent transfer it into a mesh and let it air dry for 12 hours.
- Now the delicious Agra Petha is ready to be served.
Bon Appetit! Let us know if you have tried this and how your experience was!