Bonda is a typical South Indian snack that has various sweet and spicy versions in different regions. Most common of which is “Aloo Bonda”. It can be called Potato balls or batata vada in the local areas. Here is the recipe for you my beautiful readers!
- Gram flour (besan)
- Finely chopped ginger
- Cumin seeds
- Chopped green chilli
- Coriander leaves
- Finely chopped onion
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder
HOW TO MAKE ALOO BONDA
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
- Then heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Once the oil is sufficiently hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds,chopped ginger, onions, chopped green chillies and turmeric powder.
- Add the mash potatoes, salt and coriander leaves and heat it for a while.
- Then, add the gram flour in a bowl.
- Add enough water, salt and mix it properly so that a thick yet pourable batter is prepared.
- Once the potato filling is cool enough to handle, take portions of the potato mixture and make small balls of it.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium flame.
- Once the oil is sufficiently hot, dip the potato balls in the batter and carefully place into the hot oil.
- Deep fry the bondas until golden brown.
The delicious Aloo Bondas are ready to serve.
If you tried making this, let me know how it turned out in the comments below! Bon appetit!