Chattambade the loved evening tea-time snack is crispy, crunchy and delicious. It is also called as Masala Vada or Chana Dal Vada. I was hungry for some crunchy crispy snack today and here I am sharing the recipe with you all.
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 10-12 curry leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2″ ginger, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Grated coconut
- Gram flour (Besan)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak the chana dal for 3-4 hours.
- After the soaking period, drain the water and reserve 2 tablespoons of dal aside.
- Add the soaked chana, ginger and salt, grind it (do not grind it to paste).
- Remove into a bowl.
- To the bowl add chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves, grated coconut, chopped curry leaves, chopped dry red chillies, gram flour and hing.
- Now add the reserved whole chana dal.
- Mix well and divide the mixture into equal portions.
- Wet your palms with water and roll each portion into a ball and flatten it into discs.
- Heat oil for deep frying on a medium high heat.
- Gently slip 2-3 discs into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
Bon Appétit! The crispy delicious Masala Vada is ready to serve. Enjoy!
If you have tried this recipe, let us know in the comments below. Check out our instagram for our latest story. Click here.